Tuesday 10 February 2009

Inclusion/ Differentiation

When I begin to write up my lesson plan, I always take into account all the students needs and resources available to me. Inclusivity needs to be taken into account it’s "about involving all students irrelevant activities rather than excluding them for any reason either directly or indirectly" Gravells (2007, p.19. When designing my lesson plans I include the VARK model, students within the class do need a variety of activities which will keep the students engaged in the lesson.

In one of my class I have two students that are visually impaired, one student on wheelchair, one with speech impediment and one suffers form dyslexia. I teach these students level one/ two science. The amount of differentiation I have to do for this class is almost everything. for the visually impaired I adapt the font size for one and the other student needs blue background with white written words as you will view in my blog. One of the main resource available to me in this class is two support workers, they at all times at all times are moving around in the classroom helping students which require more help then others.

Before the lesson begins I make sure the student on the wheelchair has the right access to the building and the table is the correct height. The learner with the speech impediment answers question in class just like the others, but is given more time. The dyslexic student has a support worker with him at all times but the worksheet I hand to him contains smaller simpler words but still with the same outcome as the others.

As Gravells states that "Everyone is an individual, with different experiences, abilities and needs." Gravells (2007 p.18) As a tutor I need to take all that into account when delivering lessons and I need to ensure I support the students equally.


Gravells. A (2007) Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector. Second edition, Exeter: Learning Matters

No comments: