Monday 9 February 2009

Handouts Quick and simple?

From a teachers perspective Handouts are simple to create they are easily adaptable and very flexible to use. Handouts need to be fun and interesting if you want the students to be engaged. Wallace states " The handouts has to be interesting if you want the students to 1) read it; 2) make sense of it ; and 3)be able to recall some or all the content" Wallace (2005, p.99)
I frequently use handouts to provide learners with the information needed to achieve the lesson objectives. I include simple step by step rules which will eventually lead the students to accomplish the lesson objectives. I have included a typical handout I use in my chemistry lessons:




Handouts have several definitions but Reece and Walker state "information given to students on paper which can either be given complete to supplement a lecture or incomplete to provide a student activity" Reece and Walker (2004, p.37)
This leads me nicely on to worksheets ( incomplete handouts) which I have abundance of, I use these worksheets in every lesson I do. Worksheets are easy to adapt for differentiation, to take the worksheet away with them and to use for revision purposes. Typical worksheet I use in every day classes:



Worksheets and handouts do have their disadvantages from what I have experienced. Some are used as paper planes and not read at all, can be used to often and students begin to get familiar with the theme of the lessons and at times copyright needs to be considered.
Overall I use worksheets and handouts frequently and they have worked effectively for me so I will continue using them.

Reece, I. & Walker, S. (2004) Teaching, Training and Learning: A Practical Guide. 5th Ed, Sunderland: Business Education

Wallace , S(2005) Teaching and Supporting Learning in Further Education. 2nd Ed, Exeter: Learning Matters

No comments: